Not every company manages projects the same way. Moreover, the work done for clients is not always a simple scope of work. Sometimes you need phases. BillQuick offers a simple one-level project as well as two-, three- or four-level phased project. It enhances your project management options with four project levels – termed as a project hierarchy.
BillQuick Project Hierarchy
Every project in BillQuick can stand by itself or be part of a project hierarchy. Depending on your particular needs, a project record might be classified as a:
- Standard project
- Parent or Main project
A standard project is typically one with a simple scope of work. In other words, the job does not need to be broken down into smaller jobs for management or because of client requirements.
A parent project signals a multi-level project hierarchy. A parent project can be a Main project in which one or more projects fall below it in a hierarchy. These child projects may be phases, segments or sub-segments.
A phase project is both a sub-level of the project above it and a parent to the segments below it. Similarly, a segment is a parent to sub-segments.
Any project can be flagged with a ‘Main’ status. While it is common for a parent project to have a Main status, BillQuick does not require that. Main status triggers features and processing rules in BillQuick, including:
- Time and Expense: You can only charge time and expenses to a project with ‘Active’ status, not a ‘Main’ status.
- Contract Amount: The contract amount for a Main project can be distributed to the projects below it in the hierarchy. Thus, if a Main project has a $1,000,000 contract amount, you can specify 25% of it for Phase 1 under it, that is $250,000.
- Account Roll-Up: On the Project screen, when you choose a project with a Main status, the Account tab can roll up all amounts from the projects below it in the hierarchy. Thus, it displays the cumulative values.
- Clone Phase: On the Project screen, when you select a Main project, you can use the Create Phase button to clone it to a new project record.
- Invoice Review: On the Invoice Review screen, if you choose a project with a Main status, all invoices for the projects below it in the hierarchy will display in the grid.
Thus, when you set up your project hierarchy, do consider these features and rules. Then determine whether a particular project in a hierarchy should be ‘Main’ or not.