When you negotiate with clients, the fee schedule may break down by job classification. When you wear the Engineer hat, you’re billed at $110 an hour. Switch to a Project Manager hat and your rate is $125 an hour. Back at the office you put on a Draftsman hat. Now your bill rate is $80 an hour.
One person, many hats, many bill rates. In BillQuick 2011, set up of bill rates for different job classifications became much easier.
Set up is done on the Service Fee Schedule.
- Select the Classification column using Field Chooser (Edit menu). Move it to the location in the grid that you prefer.
- Choose an Employee Group or Consultant (Vendor) Group.
- Choose the desired Classification. BillQuick compiles the list from employee and consultant titles. You can add more classifications if you wish.
- Choose an Activity or Activity Group.
- Enter the special bill rate.
- Click on the next row.
- Repeat Steps 2 to 6 as needed.
After creating the fee schedule, assign it to one or more projects.
Next, you enter hours worked on jobs.
- Open the Sheet View screen and select the Classification column using Field Chooser (Edit menu). Move it to the location in the grid that you prefer.
- Enter information about the time entry as you normally do. Add a memo as needed.
- From the Classification dropdown list, choose the desired item. If BillQuick finds a fee schedule for the project and a match in the schedule, the special job classification bill rate is applied.
- Click on the next row to save the time entry.
- Repeat Steps 2 to 4 as needed.
Finally, make your billing decisions as you normally do and create invoices.
When you choose an invoice template designed for job classifications, your work and that of other multi-hat employees and consultants will be grouped together. You can use a standard invoice template or have one customized to your preferences.
Note: The invoice above is a standard invoice that was modified with built-in tools. The Employee ID is suppressed and the Description was moved to the left.