Since November 2009 I’ve been using a Droid. Yes, some days I wish it was a real CPO or R2D2 – even a Data. But it is a smart phone with Google’s Android operating system and thousands of free and paid applications.
Why am I blogging about the Droid (and the iPhone)?
Because the Droid delivers what BQE delivers to its customers: Technology that helps you Work Smarter, Not Harder.
What does that mean to you and your firm?
It means a smart phone helps you be more nimble than your competitors. It helps you make a profit. A Droid helps you leverage your managers, staff and yourself. Like BillQuick and other modules, it gets to the heart of the matter: Time is money.
You save time whenever you need to:
- Do a quick engineering calculation or a unit conversion.
- Let your assistant know you’re stuck in traffic so she can call your client, see if you need to continue on or head for the office. You could do it yourself, but you’re probably in congestion because someone was messing with their phone and not paying attention. Also, you’re better off engaging with the traffic around you because other stressed folks out there are probably messing with their phone now. Is that guy texting? They give tickets for that, don’t they?
- Link into your servers back at the office. Is there a Wi-Fi signal around? Maybe you should just plug your smart phone into your laptop. Or maybe you should use your smart phone to link in directly.
- Know the weather for tomorrow in a specific zip code or at GPS coordinates. Then you need to send text messages to your crew whether to head to the Mother Nature Site or to the Dry and Warm Site.
- Check and update appointments and tasks in real time while out of the office.
- Update managers and staff in the field with new information from the boss sitting with a client having lunch.
- Track time while out of the office.
You get the picture.
As you read this blog series, please add comments, share how you use your smart phone, and suggest applications you use or which are available.